Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"Death Proof" Nachos


Ask me about my favorite movies and you're guaranteed to hear me mention some romantic comedies, a few dramedies, and of course anything by Quentin Tarantino. His movies, stylistically speaking, are the essence of cool. One of my all time favorite movies by him is part of the Grindhouse series, called Death Proof. It features the lovable Kurt Russell  as Stuntman Mike, this insane guy who drives a "death proof"car, that he uses to kill innocent women. It sounds pretty gory, and it is, but it's a through and through girls kicking ass and taking names movie at the end.

Well, there's this scene in the movie with Kurt Russell where he's sitting at the bar, devouring a plate of piled-high cheesy, gooey nachos. It's actually kind of gross because of how messy they are, but they still make me hungry every single time I watch that movie and I watch it a lot. So I decided to make these tasty looking nachos and am sooo happy I did because they are just as delicious as I imagined them to be. I used shredded cheese and salsa con queso so basically, when you eat these, it's like you've died and gone to cheese heaven.

 That's the great thing about this blog, it gives me an excuse to give in to all my crazy cravings, and cook or bake things I would never have made before. These nachos are a prime example of what happens when you watch too many movies, bake some crazy good food, and then write a blog about it. Check out this recipe and the clip from the movie Death Proof  and tell me what your favorite food on film has been.

"Death Proof Nachos:
  • 12 oz bag tortilla chips
  • 1 1b ground beef (or ground turkey)
  • 1 large jar of Monterrey jack and salsa cheese dip
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 packet taco seasoning mix
  • jalapeno slices
  • salt, pepper, and spices to taste
In a large skillet, brown your meat on medium-high for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink and fully cooked. Drain fat. Add salt, pepper, and your favorite seasonings, the taco seasoning packet, and 3/4 cup of water and let simmer about 5-7 minutes. Set aside. Meanwhile, heat your cheese dip in the microwave on high in a microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds, stirring every ten seconds until hot. Set your oven to broil. In a 13x9 inch baking pan, begin layering your nachos. Start by adding half the bag of chips to the bottom:


Then add half of the taco meat:


Next, add the salsa with cheese:


Then add the shredded cheese:


Repeat the layering process one more time in the same order, then set the nachos in the broiler until the cheese is completely melted. (watch carefully, the cheese melts fast!)

Add the jalapeno slices and the diced tomatoes, and there you have it, Death Proof nachos, brought to you first by Kurt Russell and Quentin Tarantino, adapted from the movie by yours truly. Note: Eat quickly, these things go from hot to lukewarm fast!

12 comments:

  1. So happy I found this! My friends and I make these except we used about triple the amount of cheese. Didn't think about the ground beef and taco seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This truly is one of my favorite things and yes more cheese is always better!!!

      Delete
  2. My family always used doritos for nachos. Dad liked cool ranch, mom liked nacho cheese, I liked habanero. Now I use Taqui's ghost pepper tortilla chips

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually googled 'What does Kurt Russell eat in Death Proof' and found this page and thus your blog. Death Proof is my favourite movie and those nachos have been my obsession since I saw it first. I read this piece and thought, this person is my soul mate! Then I read your 'about me' page and saw you're a Gilmore Girls fan as well! Saw the entire series about 11 times at least. This is such a coincidence! I'm flabbergasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. I added corn, kidney beans, more cheese, spring onion and sour cream. Watching now Champions League final with a lot of nachos and beer. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me so freaking happy it's hard to explain. And May 26th is my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In 2007, me and a friend from the Army watched Deathproof.

    We were drunk, and i dont remember alot from the movie, exept the nacho-scene.

    Now and then when making tacos ever since, the memory of this scene hits me. It must have happened probably 100 times since 2007, and today i just randomly googled it.

    It has been one of those "is it a memory, or is it from a dream"- ghostly thoughts that comes and goes, and im glad i googled it.

    Thank you for taking your time and putting this on the net! =)

    There will be nachos devoured Kurt Russel-style tonight.

    Greetings from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here for 2020 lockdown. making some tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't forget to wash it down with a club soda and lime on the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before the virgin pina colada

      Delete
  9. Dont remember see meat in the nachos from the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ug! Grumph! Don't remember see meat me too! Me no see meat, then no meat or is meat and me no see. Ugly!

      Delete