Sunday, March 18, 2012

Nana's no bake cookies

There's an old wives' tale associated with these cookies, saying you're not supposed to make them when it rains, because they won't harden. Well, I'm not one for believing in those tales, especially, when they say I can't eat cookies when I want them. And I always want them when it rains, for some reason.

Burt's nana makes the most fantastic no bake cookies, usually around Christmas time. Because Christmas only comes once a year, I fully intended on making these cookies myself the second I tried them, so I wouldn't have to wait. The first two times I made these, they were a complete disaster. Total mush, with no cookie form whatsoever. Either I didn't bring them to a rolling boil long enough or Nana was right, because of course, it happened to be raining when I made them.

Whatever the case, I decided to try my luck on these cookies once more, and I am happy to announce that I finally did it! I made non-mushy no bake cookies that taste almost as good as Nana's. At first I thought I had debunked the cooking myth, (because it was supposed to rain the whole day when I made them this week), but then the skies cleared and any evidence of a rainy day vanished as soon as my cookies set. Serves me right for not listening to Nana the first time.



Nana's no bake cookies:
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 1 cup of white sugar
  • 1/4 cup of milk
  • 1/8 cup of cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup of peanut butter
  • 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan on medium heat place the butter, milk, sugar, and cocoa powder together and stir. Bring ingredients to a full rolling boil, and time it for 1 minute. Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Mix in the quick cooking oats and drop large teaspoonfuls on wax paper to let cool. Note: To make your no bakes into rounder, cookie shapes, use a spoon to round out the edges. Makes 1 dozen.


No comments:

Post a Comment