Saturday, March 17, 2012

Green rice krispy treats

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone!!!


As you probably have already guessed, I rarely celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Nothing personal, I just forget about it every year until the day it rolls around. But with so many fellow bloggers posting tasty looking Irish inspired treats this week,  I felt a little left out. So, instead of the traditional beers and breads, I opted to make something St. Patrick's Day inspired that my whole family could enjoy... green rice krispy treats!


Ok, so they didn't turn out as green as I would have liked, (heck, the salad I made yesterday was a whole lot greener) but they were so easy to make that even Lorelai was able to help. She was diligent about picking up the spilled marshmallows on the stove, then proceeded to eat them all. And she had a ton of fun stirring the rice krispy/butter mixture.

Alright...I'll be honest, I made the treats while she helped clean up:


Yeah...my kid's a mess.

Green rice krispy treats:
  • 3 Tbs butter
  • 6 cups rice krispy cereal
  • 1 10 oz bag of marshmallows
  • 4-6 drops green food coloring
  • green sprinkles (optional)
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on very low heat. Once the butter is melted, add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. This may take 5-10 minutes. When the marshmallows  are melted and very smooth, stir in the food coloring. In a large mixing bowl, add the cereal and marshmallow mixture and stir together until well combined. Press mixture into a 7x11 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Use the back of a large measuring cup to help smooth out the mixture. Top with green sprinkles and let cool. Makes about 12-15 rice krispy treats.




No comments:

Post a Comment