Monday, March 5, 2012

Snickerdoodles

 The more I learn to bake, the more I realize how much fun it is. It used to be that I only liked to cook, and rarely did I even do that. But a few months ago, when I was craving something sweet and didn't want to spend money on an entenmann's cake, (however delicious they may be), I decided to pull out the brownie bites maker my mom had bought me for mother's day and give it a whirl. They came out beautiful and I've been in love with making brownies ever since.

After my brownie success, I decided to try making sugar cookies for Halloween. First, I made the dough, then chilled it for several hours. Afterwards, I rolled the dough and cut out some fun, Halloween shapes. It was a long and painful process for somebody like me, who has never owned a kitchen aid mixer and does all her mixing by hand with a wooden spoon.  But I kept my eye on the prize, thinking that in the next few hours I would have some really adorable cookies to decorate. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the results. The cookie shapes were smooshed and didn't look like exactly they were supposed to :( And some of them were wayyy too crispy. Basically, I ended up spending hours making something that I wasn't crazy about. I thought I would put away my cookie recipes for awhile and pull them out 10 years from now, when I had truly mastered the art of baking.

Last night was the exception. I was craving something sweet, and wanted to try something new. So I browsed the web for dessert ideas and found a solution to my sweet tooth, Homemade snickerdoodles!

What's a snickerdoodle you ask? A snickerdoodle is a basic sugar cookie rolled in cinammon sugar. Yummy :)

The recipe is very simple, yet makes for a downright delicious little treat that takes about 8 minutes to bake. I'm happy to say that I am finally learning to persevere when it comes to baking, and having a blast learning new recipes. :)

Snickerdoodles
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/3 cups of flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • splash of milk
  • 1 Tbs white sugar
  • 1 Tbs ground cinammon
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the brown sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla extract. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and mix together. Add a splash of milk to make the dough easier to work with. In a separate bowl, combine the white sugar and ground cinammon. Make rounded teaspoonfuls of cookie dough and roll into the cinammon sugar mixture until evenly coated. Place dough two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are set. Serve with a tall glass of milk. Makes 2 dozen.



No comments:

Post a Comment