Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Apple & Peanut-butter "pupcakes"

I love my dogs.
But it occurred to me today when mulling over what to bake in the kitchen that I never have dog treats in the house, just plain ole, run of the mill dog food. Of course this made me feel terrible, especially since I have fairly well-behaved, sweet little pups that deserve a treat every now and again. So I set out to find a delicious treat to bake for them that they would appreciate. I stumbled upon these cute little apple and cheddar "pupcakes" on the Brown eyed baker's food blog. Can I just tell you what a cute and inexpensive idea this is? Most of the ingredients that go into these treats you probably already have on hand. I was so excited about these that I made a modified version for my own three furry babies. They loved them! Seriously went crazy for these treats. Although I can't say for certain, I'm pretty sure Mattie Moo Cow was the most impressed. :)

 Apple & Peanut-butter "pupcakes":
 Recipe adapted from the Brown eyed baker's apple & cheddar "pupcakes"
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 apple, cored, peeled, and minced
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (natural is preferable)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup low fat milk
  • 1/4 cup water
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tray with paper liners and set aside. Whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and minced apple together. Stir in the milk, applesauce, vegetable oil, and honey. Mix the wet ingredients slowly in with the flour mixture. Add the peanut butter and water and mix thoroughly to combine. (note: batter will be thick, similar to a banana bread/muffin batter) Scoop batter into muffin tins using a tablespoon measure and fill a little more than halfway full. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely before serving to your dogs. Your dogs will definitely enjoy these!

No comments:

Post a Comment