Saturday, April 21, 2012

Blackberry Yogurt Parfait

It's Saturday and you know what that means...UFC fight night!!! Woohoo! I don't believe I've ever really expressed my love for MMA before today. (Burt, if you're reading this  right now, please stop laughing) Okay, so the only time I ever really watch it is when Burt makes me or when I'm cheering him on at a fight, but I do enjoy the occasional ground and pound, especially when it's fighters I actually like. Take tonight for instance, two amazingly skilled fighters, Rashad Evans and Jon "Bones" Jones going toe to toe in what is likely to be a nasty battle. I'm rooting for one of them, won't say which one since I'm a major jinx when it comes to sports, but I will say that both fighters seem very humble in interviews, which always is a good thing in my book. Whoever wins, I hope it's a good fight! :)

Now, off to the recipe. I was thinking today about how difficult it must be to practice mixed martial arts. A lot of weight cutting is involved before fights, which means strict dieting and a LOT of exercise. I don't usually feel bad when Burt is cutting weight before a fight because he doesn't make a huge deal out of it, but this week I've been wretched. I literally made a 1500 calorie meal loaded with butter and cream (an excellent recipe by the way, which I will post later this week) and made him try it. This is the absolute worst thing to do to a dieter because one delicious morsel can easily make them fall off the wagon, and indulge in way more than they need. Luckily, Burt has tremendous willpower against pasta (but not cheeseburgers, hehe) so one bite was enough. But I still felt bad about my lack of consideration in the food department, especially since I'm always cooking and baking like I'm going to the electric chair and will never taste this stuff ever again. I must be stopped, especially since I'm so out of shape lately that I swear I strained my neck from getting out of bed too fast. I have a gym membership, but I've been too busy cooking and baking to use it. Okay, what a sorry excuse. I will go the gym starting next week, I will, I will, I will. But for the time being, I made Burt a delicious parfait, light and pretty low cal. Of course, the bowl I served it in was GIANT, so I'd advise using something a teeny bit smaller if you're cutting calories, or at the very least, share it.




Blackberry Yogurt Parfait:
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup granola, store-bought or homemade. (I used Nature's Path organic pumpkin flax seed)
  • 1/2 cup of blueberries
  • 1/2 cup blackberries
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
In a small bowl, mix together your plain yogurt and vanilla extract. Take a large, deep glass and layer 1/2 of the yogurt on the bottom. Top with 1/2 of the granola, 1/2 of the blueberries, 1/2 the blackberries, and 1/2 of the banana. Repeat previous steps for a second layer. Enjoy! (Note: You can do more layers if you have a tall enough glass, if so, just add about 1/3  cup of the ingredients to each layer for 3 layers, or 1/4 cup of the ingredients to each layer for 4 layers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment