Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Key Lime Pie

I have been dragging my behind when it comes to blogging lately...to those of you who don't use that expression, let's just say I have been laaaaaazier than a slug. I don't know what the deal is. But I'm blaming the heat.


My goodness it's been hotter than all get out lately. I'm talking mid 90's and up, which is obviously no fun. Sometimes, I really wish I lived in a more arctic climate...Would it be so bad, really? I could go skiing and sledding whenever I wanted. But shoveling 10 feet of snow every winter would get old, very quickly.

In the meantime, while I'm living through this massive southern heat wave, I'll have to make due with other things to cool me off, and I'm not talking ice cream. I'm talking pie. Key lime Pie. Yes, yes.


This pie is the mother of all summer pies, in my opinion. I've been in love with it for several years, yet have convinced myself against making it because I didn't think it would ever taste as good as the Edward's brand of pie that I've grown accustomed to. Well, my friends it does taste as good. Every bit as good. Perhaps, better, even because it's fresher, fancier, and one of the easiest pie recipes to master, Period.




For those of you going through the same summer heat wave as me, try this pie, I beg you. It's the new ice cream.

Key Lime pie:
Recipe adapted from the Brown eyed baker's key lime pie

For the crust:
  • 1 stick butter, melted and warm
  • 14-16 graham crackers, crushed
  • 3 Tbs granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place 14-16 graham crackers in a large freezer bag. Use a rolling pin to crush the crackers in the bag until only crumbs remain. In a large bowl, mix together the crushed graham crackers and sugar. Pour the melted butter over the graham cracker mixture until the mixture resembles wet sand. Mix together until all of the graham crackers are evenly coated with butter. Press the mixture into a 9 inch pie plate evenly. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Set aside to cool.

For the lime filling:
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
  • the zest from 2 limes
  • 1/2 cup of  lime juice
Leave the oven preheated to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, beat together the egg yolks. Stir in the heavy cream, zest, and lime juice. Let the mixture sit to thicken, about 10 minutes. Pour into cooled pie crust and bake uncovered for 15-18 minutes, until filling has set but is still jiggly. Let come to room temperature, then refrigerate 3-4 hours before garnishing.

For the garnish:
  • 1 can of whipped cream
  • 1-2 limes, sliced thin
Once the pie has been refrigerated for at least 3 hours, use the whipped cream to decorate it. For my pie, I went around the edges and sprayed whipped cream, then sprayed a dollop in the center. After, I added the lime slices around the pie and put 1 in the center. Very simple! You can also choose to cut the limes into quarters, add more or less whipped cream, etc. etc. Be creative and enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. the flavours sound great but not particularly cooling. when it gets hot here we sometime drink hot tea - in a perverse way it cools you down.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete