Thursday, June 14, 2012

Old-fashioned biscuits


One of Burt's favorite breakfast items in the whole world is biscuits. Buttermilk, chicken, the ones from The Red Barn, the ones from the gas station, etc., etc. Any biscuit from any place, he doesn't discriminate. I, on the other hand, have always been a bagel girl in terms of bread-type breakfast foods. And I've always been very stubborn about that fact. I've even managed to convert Burt into a muenster bagel fanatic.

It's only been recently during my little southern food kick that I've come around to the idea of a nice, flaky buttered biscuit. Or one slathered with raspberry preserves. Oh, yum.


Sometime, I fall in love with the idea of a certain food, as opposed to the actual food itself. And then once I make the food I've been pining for, I change my mind about it. I decide it tasted better imagined then in reality. As for these biscuits? I'm happy to say I've fallen madly in love.



Old-fashioned biscuits:
Recipe adapted from Clabber Girl
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup butter, diced and chilled
  • 3/4 cup of whole milk
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Grease a baking sheet and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir in the chilled butter and mash down until it resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well and add the milk. Stir together until everything is moistened and sticky. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 30 seconds, or just until it holds together and is smooth. Roll dough into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle. Cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass. Reroll the leftover dough if necessary. Place biscuits close together on baking sheet. Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter. Bake in the oven for 11-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with melted butter, jam, or preserves. Enjoy! Makes 8 biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment