Friday, July 27, 2012

Peanut butter dog bone treats



I got some exciting news yesterday.

The day started like any other. I woke up, made some breakfast for Lorelai and myself, fed the dogs, and then logged onto my email. It feels like I've been waiting on a certain email from my school for the past 4 months now. The waiting period began in March, after I submitted my essay for the veterinary technology program along with completing my prerequisites. Then I'd wait. After that, I had to attend a mandatory meeting and take the Hobet test. Wait for another email. Next it was interview time and the final email. DunDunDunnn. This final email would seal my fate after an extensive process of essays, testing, interviewing, etc, I would find out whether or not I was in the program I'd been working so hard to become a part of.

Then I got the final email. And it said: "Welcome new veterinary technology student. You've been accepted into the veterinary technology program!"

Hallefreakinlujah!

Now comes the fun part. Over the next two years, I will be working towards obtaining a veterinary technology degree, where I will be completing labs, clinicals, and all that other good stuff in order to become what is essentially, a nurse for animals. I'm so freaking excited, while another teeny part of me is really, really nervous. It's not gonna be a cakewalk, but if I can make it through this program in one piece, chances are, I can do just about anything. Except maybe dive into a tank full of sharks. That, I just don't think I can handle.


So in order to celebrate my love of animals and the fun I will have learning more about them, I bring you peanut butter dog bone treats. Sure to bring a smile to you and your pupper's face. :)




Peanut butter dog bone treats:
Recipe adapted from Brown eyed baker dog treats
  • 2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 Tbs baking powder
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 cup milk
  • a drizzle of honey (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the peanut butter, milk, and a drizzle of honey. Slowly stir the peanut butter mixture in with the flour mixture. Once fully combined, flour your work surface and knead dough ball for a few minutes until the dough becomes easy to work with and roll out. Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut shapes with dog bone shaped cookie cutters (available at Walmart, Hobby Lobby, etc.) Bake bones on a lightly greased baking sheet for 20 minutes or until  golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack completely before serving to your dogs. Store in an airtight container for at least a week.

2 comments: