Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My failed attempt at spanish style stew

  
Today I set out to make a fairly simple stew using my new crockpot. This meal was supposed to be super easy, but things didn't turn out like I had planned. For starters, I was going to start my day early to cut all the potatoes and season the meat, etc., etc. Instead, I woke up late and ended up walking in the park with Lorelai and Nonnie (my mom), went shopping at Kohl's, and ended up back at my house around 4:30. I like to have dinner ready by 6:30, so there I was scurrying around and chopping, peeling, dicing, seasoning, and all the usual. We ended up eating a  stew consisting mostly of mushed potatoes and bland meat at 7:45!!! Ugh, so not my day.

Here's where I messed up.

For starters, I didn't get to use my crockpot. If I had, my meal would have probably turned out soft, not mushy. Or maybe it would have, I can't know for sure. I also didn't season the pork early enough, and I added about two cups of water to the stew, causing half the seasoning on the pork to literally wash off. But the BEST part of the whole meal was this....I had my pot of stew on the wrong burner for 30 minutes before realizing it wasn't cooking!!!

Only me.

 But at the very least, I can say that I attempted to make a meal I never have before and it was edible. Not great, but edible. And peppery. But that's ok, I'm sure I'm not the only person to encounter a cooking blunder and write about it. To all you foodies out there, here's the recipe. I wish you better luck than I had.


Spanish Style Stew
  • 1 1b of pork tenderloin, cut into stew pieces
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 bag baby carrots
  • 5 russett potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup of chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1 packet of sazon
  • 1 tbs adobo
  • 2 tbs minced garlic
  • 1 tbs onion or garlic powder
  • 2 tbs sofrito
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Season the meat with the sazon, adobo, onion powder, and salt, pepper, and olive oil. Let marinate 4-6 hours or overnight. Next, sear the meat until all sides are brown. Set aside. Using a crockpot, place seared meat, potatoes, carrots, and onions in crockpot on low setting. Cook 4-6 hours. Enjoy! (note: I have never used my crockpot and am not too sure on the amount of liquid. Proceed with caution.)

No comments:

Post a Comment