Thursday, March 1, 2012

Catastrophic day...and angel hair pasta

Oh boy. What a day it has been. I shouldn't even be posting a blog tonight because of it all, but I made a commitment to myself and this blog that come rain or shine, I would post one blog everyday.

The day started out just fine. Woke up, ate some breakfast, and prepared to go to kindermusic with Burt and Lorelai. On our way there, our car got rear ended. I'm talking bumper smashed in so badly we couldn't get the trunk open no matter how hard we tried. It was bad. I ended up smacking my head on the dashboard, even with my seat belt on. Thankfully, were all fine and so were the people that hit us. Of course, they drove off without a scratch on their car and sadly, ours was towed away.:(

When stuff like this happens, it makes you really appreciate the people in your life. Both Burt and I have the best moms in the world. My mom spent the day chauffeuring us around so that we could still make it to Lorelai's eye appointment, which I scheduled months ago. Theresa (Burt's mom) made sure we were all okay and brought us a spare car seat. (Apparently, after a car accident a car seat has to be thrown away) It was a VERY rough day on all of us. But life is like that. I'm learning from all these little pitfalls to just be grateful for what you have and live everyday as if you wouldn't have another. Who knows what would have happened if I wasn't wearing my seat belt. I may still have written this blog, but it would have definitely been from a hospital bed. Life can throw you in some scary situations, sometimes. Don't be afraid to live it. This includes splurging on your diet every once and awhile with a large plate full of cheesy, flavorful, carbs.

Yes, we are back on food.
I know it seems crazy but I figured after sharing a little bit about some of life's downfalls, I'd give you all a chance to make your day a little better, the only way I know how. With a good home-cooked meal. Here ya go.

Angel hair pasta tossed with garlic and veggies
  • 1 Ib of angel hair pasta
  • 2 zucchinis, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • olive oil
  • 2 Tbs minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups of parmesan cheese
  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
  • 1  large pinch of Herbs de Provence
  • crushed red pepper
Boil a pot of salted water. While you are waiting for the water to boil,  heat a large skillet with olive oil. Once it is good and heated, brown the minced garlic. Toss in the onions and let cook 3-5 minutes. Then, toss in the zucchini and cook 3-5 minutes before adding the tomatoes last. While you are doing this, cook your pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and herbs de Provence to the vegetables. Lower heat and let simmer for about 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.  Using tongs, toss in the veggies with the pasta and add the parmesan cheese. Toss together until thoroughly combine. Serve in large bowls.



No comments:

Post a Comment