Saturday, March 10, 2012

Chocolate chip cheesecake swirled brownies

I have a serious brownie obsession. It's probably because it's the one dessert I bake that almost always turns out the way I'd hoped. Sometimes even better. And I can always eat brownies without tiring of their flavor or texture, unlike some foods I've baked in the past. After the success I had making the chocolate chip cookie dough brownies a few weeks ago, I got really anxious to make something else with cookie dough. I kept trying to think of something original, but to no avail. So instead, I somehow ended up making these today:

Chocolate chip cheesecake swirled  brownies, my own take on the traditional brownie and cheesecake combo. I always add whole chocolate chips in my brownies anyway, but this time I added it in the cheesecake batter to make it a  little different. I love the richness of the chocolate, combined  with a cream cheese flavor and since I am a huge fan of cheesecake too, these were a win-win in the dessert category for me. While I may have been craving cookie dough this morning, I'm more than happy to indulge in these sweet treats anytime of day.  :)

Chocolate chip cheesecake swirled brownies:
Adapted from food network kitchens cheesecake brownies

For the cheesecake:
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, and egg and blend well. Using a spatula, mix in the chocolate chips and set aside.

For the brownies:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking pan (8x8) with foil hanging over the sides and coat with cooking spray. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Once the butter has melted, mix in with the sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Beat in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside 1/2 cup of the brownie batter and pour the rest in the baking pan. Top the brownies batter with the cheesecake batter evenly. Add large dollops of the brownie batter that you set aside on top of the cheesecake layer. Use a butter knife to swirl and make large figure eights in brownie/cheesecake mixture. Bake brownies for 35-40 minutes or until set. Let cool completely. Enjoy!

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment