Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream


Ah, ice cream. It is one of the things I most look forward to with the arrival of warmer weather. Of course, I could eat ice cream year round, but then I wouldn't have a valid excuse. Except that it is my absolute favorite dessert of all-time...


Who doesn't like ice cream? I mean, how could you not? The creamy texture, endless varieties, and let's not forget all of the toppings you can add! Plus, you can eat it in a cone, edible waffle bowl, or drink it in milkshake form. There are so many possibilities with this one dessert, perhaps that's why I can eat it year round and not get bored of it. And now that I have my own ice cream maker? Forget it. Don't be surprised if you see half of my posts related strictly to my ice cream concoctions.

I've mentioned now that I love, love, ice cream. And you probably figured out by now that I am a huge chocolate fan, based on all of my posts. Oh yeah, and let's not forget my cookie dough obsession. Put them all together and what do you have???

Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream....mmmmm good.


Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream:

For the ice cream:
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
Heat the heavy cream and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Whisk together the egg yolks, cocoa powder, and both sugars in a large bowl. Carefully, pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients, about 1/3 of the mixture at a time. Whisk after each time you pour in the mixture. Stir in the vanilla. Pour all of the contents back into the saucepan and heat over medium-low to low heat until the mixture forms a custard, or coats the back of a wooden spoon. Let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate in a tupperware for at least 6 hours or overnight. (Note: If your mixture doesn't thicken as it should after about 15 minutes, turn off and let come to room temperature anyway. It will still taste good, just will not be as creamy.) Proceed with ice cream manufacturer's instructions about ice cream and ice cream add-ins. (cookie dough) Cookie dough recipe follows:

For the cookie dough:
  • 1 stick butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbs whole milk
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
In a large bowl, beat together the both sugars and butter until creamed. Mix in the vanilla extract, flour,  and whole milk until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate until ready to use. (Note: you will use about 1/2 the cookie dough for your ice cream.)

No comments:

Post a Comment