Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chocolate covered strawberries

Spring is nearly here, as evidenced by the huge downpour of rain last night accompanied with widespread tornadoes. The tornado sirens went off last night while we were sleeping, but thankfully, none touched down near our hometown. Looking outside my window yesterday (before the storm)I also noticed that our tree outside had bloomed little white flowers. Spring brings many things; some not so lovely (allergies and rainy days) and others that I've waited all year for (fragrant flowers and strawberry picking!)

This will be the first year that my family and I go strawberry picking and I cannot wait! I'm going to try my hand at homemade jams, strawberry pies, strawberry ice cream, and even strawberry strudel. But until the time being, I'm going to have to use store bought strawberries. I had some left over strawberries from the pie I made this week along with chocolate chips and heavy cream. My insatiable sweet tooth ultimately lead me to making the classically romantic dessert, chocolate covered strawberries.



This recipe by Ina Garten is so unbelievably easy, yet results in such a smooth and shiny dessert. For all you strawberry lovers out there, here's an amazingly delicious, yet simple chocolate covered strawberry recipe.

Chocolate covered strawberries
  • 1 dozen strawberries
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 3 Tbs heavy cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Using a heat proof bowl,  melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream together over simmering water. Once melted, add the vanilla off the heat. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and twirl the strawberries in the chocolate until completely coated. Set strawberries on parchment paper and place in fridge until chocolate has hardened.





No comments:

Post a Comment