Friday, March 16, 2012

The GBC chicken salad

I've been eating so unhealthily this week. Everyday, I have baked something or another that calls for a large amount of sugar, butter, or both. And since my family hasn't joined me in eating these fattening, sugary treats I have taken it upon myself to try and beat my own record for the most desserts eaten in a day...and I've won. So after stumbling around in a sugar coma the past couple of days, I was left with no choice but to revive myself with a nice, leafy green salad.

Salad.  The word resonates loudly for many of us, particularly when trying to diet. The funny thing about salads though, is that sometimes they can have just as many calories as the bad foods you are trying to stay away from in the first place. Which is why I love making salads at home. It's a great way to get your proteins and veggies all in one place and since you're making it, you know exactly what's going in it.


I call this salad the "GBC" salad, short for grilled beer can chicken salad. I love the way grilled beer can chicken seasoning tastes and it goes especially well alongside spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, and olives. I sprinkle a little bit of cheese on top, just to give it an extra something. It's delicious and one of the only meals my two-year old will eat without kicking and screaming, which is reason enough for me to make it more often. :)

GBC chicken salad
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Weber's beer can chicken seasoning
  • garlic powder
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 bag of raw spinach
  • 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 3-4 Tbs Spanish olives
  • 1/4 cup of shredded cheese
  • zesty Italian dressing
  • olive oil
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides of your chicken breasts. Dredge the chicken breasts in the beer can chicken seasoning. Heat a cast iron skillet with some olive oil on medium high heat. When the skillet is heated, place the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook about 5 minutes on both sides. Place the entire skillet in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked, or no longer pink in the center. Set chicken aside. In a large salad bowl, toss together the spinach, tomato, cucumber, and olives. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and toss in the salad. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Serve  salad with zesty Italian dressing. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Lovely salad. It would be great if you linked it in to today's Food on Friday which is collecting salad recipes.

    ReplyDelete