Sunday, April 1, 2012

Skillet Lasagna

Quick note: This blog post was meant for yesterday. However, I had to stop typing in the car due to my weak constitution for riding and reading in the car at the same time. Always a joy...

I'll bet you'll never guess where I am right now...No, not in the bathroom...weirdos.

I'm actually sitting in a rental car squashed between 17 pieces of luggage on my way to New Jersey with my mom, dad, two brothers, and of course, Lorelai.

Burt had to stay and pet sit 6 dogs...yes, you heard me right. 3 of them are ours...3 are my  parents furry children.

And I know this may seem overly sappy but I miss him already. Terribly. :(
This sitting in the car for 14 hours at a time is definitely not my favorite way to spend a Saturday. But the upside to this long, bleary eyed road trip is the reward of seeing my aunts and cousins, being by the beach,  and of course, going into the city...New York City. Can you say, food heaven???

So in one week's time I will be coming back to you bringing a fully satisfied appetite, and undoubtedly, more than a few new food creations to my very own kitchen. Here's to a wonderful trip and food journey of sorts.
Oh and I almost forget. I have a few new recipes up my sleeve for this week, starting with one of my new favorites...skillet lasagna. It takes half the time of a regular lasagna and is just as satisfying. You're in for a treat!

Skillet Lasagna
Recipe adapted from Tracy's Culinary Adventures' Skillet lasagna
  • 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 Ib ground turkey
  • 2 Tbs minced garlic
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp Herbs de Provence
  • 10 lasagna noodles broken into 2 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • a dash of Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • additional salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until the onion begins to soften. Add the garlic and saute a minute longer. Stir in the meat and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Season the meat with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder while cooking. Set the lasagna noodles on top of the meat, but do not stir. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock (mixed together) and again, do not stir. Add the Herbs de Provence on top and bring the mixture to a slight boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and stir periodically until the noodles are soft (about 20 minutes). In a small mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat off under the pan and add the Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Drop the seasoned ricotta in spoonfuls atop the lasagna. Do not mix! Place the lid back on for two minutes to allow the cheese to soften and melt. Serve hot!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment