Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Baked Brownie




I don't think I've made my love of brownies quite clear enough. So here goes. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE BROWNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ok, that's enough of that. But you see my point. I'm addicted to brownies. I love everything about them over just about any other dessert. The texture, taste, density, the fact that you can eat them on the go, and the endless variations. Oh my gosh are there endless variations. You can put just about anything into a brownie and make it taste good. (Ok, I wouldn't suggest meat or veggies but that's just cause I've never tried it...who knows?)


This "baked brownie" is no crazy brownie variation by any means. It's just an honest to goodness rich, dense, durable, brownie lover's dream. It's certainly one that I've been wanting to try forever but never got around to baking.  But now that I have, I'm happy to say that two sticks of butter later and a whole bag of semisweet chocolate chips to boot, I couldn't be happier with the results. The only thing and I mean only thing that I wish these brownies had were chocolate chips mixed in the batter, the way I usually make my brownies. But who knows, that may be chocolate overkill to some. On second thought, there's no such thing. :)

The Baked Brownie:
Recipe adapted from the Brown eyed Baker's baked brownie
  • 5 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 sticks of butter, cut into thirds
  • 2 Tbs cocoa powder
  • 11 oz semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cups light brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish and line the inside with parchment paper. In a large microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on medium (50%) power, stirring every 25 seconds or so, until chocolate and butter is fully melted and smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside til cooled slightly. Add both sugars, vanilla, and 3 eggs and whisk to combine. Add the last two eggs and whisk until just combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture until just combined and most of the flour mixture cannot be seen. Pour the batter evenly into the baking dish and smooth out the top. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, turning the baking dish the other way after 15 minutes. Let cool completely. Remove brownies from the dish by lifting out the parchment paper and cut into squares. Enjoy! Makes 20-24 brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment