Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Apple pie

It's Tuesday, and you're probably wondering what's been up with the lull on my blog lately. Well, to tell you the truth last week was kind of a blur. It was a rainy, dreary week and I kind of cocooned myself in the house most of the week just because I wasn't in the mood to deal with the rain. Then, Burt was off Thursday and Friday and we spent the weekend busy as can be, starting with him weighing in for his fight Friday night and ending in a lovely little Mother's day brunch at his brother's fiance's house Sunday while I nursed a massive hangover. (Had a little too much fun on fight night. What can I say? I don't get out much.) But today, I am back making my very first homemade apple pie for my dad's birthday! Woohoo!


This apple pie recipe is incredibly easy! I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly everything came together. I also loved how all of the flavors melded together so perfectly. A touch of sugar, spice, and everything nice makes this pie fantastic!! For that reason alone, I think this one's a keeper!

Apple Pie:
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com apple pie

  • 1 recipe for a 9 inch double pie crust (double my recipe)
  • 6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (I used granny smith and fuji)
  • 6 Tbs butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, (plus more for top of pie)
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (plus more for top of pie)
  • 2 Tbs flour
  • 1 Tbs cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
  • milk (for brushing)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized saucepan over medium low heat, melt the butter. Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour and cornstarch until it begins to thicken. Stir in both sugars, cinnamon, and the water. Add more water if the mixture begins to crystallize. Constantly keep stirring until your mixture is thickened. Fit one of your pie crusts into the bottom of your pie plate, trimming the edges and crimping them as well. Place your apples in the center, mounding them slightly. Pour the butter/sugar mixture carefully over the apples evenly. Top with the second pie crust, trimming the edges and making sure to pinch the top and bottom layers together. Make 4 slits into the top of the pie crust and place in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, brush the top of the pie evenly with the milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until both crust is golden brown and the apples have softened.

1 comment: