Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

In case you hadn't noticed, I've sorta been A wall this week (is that what it's called?) I've kind of been in a writing slump ---Aside from that, there's been a lot of cookie baking in my house this week.
Well, more than usual.


You see, I'm not the biggest fan of cookie baking, which I know, sounds kind of nuts, but they've always seemed so boring to me. Again, I know I'm sounding like a crazy person, but for me, cookies land on the bottom of the totem pole in terms of what I choose to bake.

Something changed my mind this week, though. Perhaps it was the smidge of leftover oats I had saved in my pantry with no clue as to what to use them for. Add to it the fact that I've had boxes of unused raisins with no planned future, aside from the occasional snack. And let's face it, it's not very often when I snack on raisins.


But oatmeal raisin cookies? A different story entirely. You see, when I said I'm not crazy about cookie baking, in no way did I mean to imply that I don't like cookies, because believe me, I do. I really, really do. So much so, that I whipped up these yummy cookies on Monday and have been snacking on them ever since. Not only are they the perfect balance of sweetness, they also are incredibly easy to make. I implore you to make them.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies:
Recipe adapted from Quaker Oats

  • 6 Tbs butter, softened
  • 2 Tbs applesauce
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup oats (old fashioned or quick cooking)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup raisins
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamed. Add in the applesauce, egg, and vanilla and continue mixing until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Slowly, incorporate the flour mixture in with the butter mixture and combine well. Stir in the oats and raisins. Spoon rounded teaspoonfuls of the cookie mixture on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inched apart. Bake in preheated oven 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire racks. Serve and enjoy! Makes about 18-20 cookies.







1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I love oatmeal cookies, but haven't ever made oatmeal raisin (my husband hated raisins, but lately has started to enjoy them). I'm going to have to try this one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete